OUR MISSION

To collaborate for the formation of reflexive critical subjects in the different knowledge levels (technicians, graduate and postgraduates), capable of accomplishing the development of educational, scientific, economical, political and cultural levels in a maintainable way in communities of low income.


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A poem from summer 2008




Dust on My Feet

 I have the echoes of Ceara in my ears—
Songs of praise and hope lifted to God in her churches
Roosters crowing a responsive reading at dawn
A cacophony of busses, cars, motorbikes and burros
A morning melody of cow and goat bells
Students repeating words strange to their ears
 Loudspeakers reaching out for votes
Shared prayers from a circle of women.

I have the smells of Ceara in my nose –
Of the freshest-squeezed orange juice
Of salty air at the beach
Of diesel fumes from trucks and busses
Of starfruit blossoms promising ripe fruit

I savor new tastes of Ceara as well –
The passionate tang of maracuja
Sweet fruits at breakfast
Lemon birthday cake
The ever present rice and beans
The bread and cup of communion shared with new Christians
 A cup of sugarless tea with a sweet promise

I have visions of Ceara in my memory –
Of people filling the streets day and night
Of family laughing at their meal
The faces of students concentrating
The frailest elderly and beaming children
Cooperative movements for the survival of poor families
And for a better life from higher education.

I feel the touch of Ceara also –
The strong tropical sun and cooling winds
In crowded cars so all can go
In the embrace of generous hugs and snuggling children
In the jarring, jolting motion travelling rain-damaged roads
In the clasp of hands from new-found friends
In the gentle sway of a hammock’s cocoon
In the dripping waters of baptism.

I have the dust of Ceara on my feet –
From the federal university
Passing through the streets of Colonia and Itambe
From gardens in Ombreira
From the dirt floors of a most humble home
From playing ball with boys and girls

I don’t want the dust to wash away
for it reminds me of the love of Ceara that fills my heart –
Arising from shared faith
Nurtured by ideas and dream and worries shared
Tended by patience with poor Portuguese
Enriched by acceptance as a sister
Amazed by overflowing hospitality
Encircled by the love of a gracious, 
generous God who has given this gift.

The dust on my feet goes with me
But a piece of my heart stays behind.


Kitch Shatzer

3 comments:

  1. Gil Dietz wrote:

    Hi Arneide:
    Thank you for sending the linking to the poem by Kitch Shatzer. I had not seen this before. It is excellent... marvelous. I have copied and pasted to my Microsoft Word file for future reference. Gil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arneide -- it is kind for you to share my thoughts with others who might be enticed to come visit in Fortaleza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this poem is so beautiful!!! Congratz Kitch and thank you!!

    ReplyDelete